Tuesday 12 May 2009

Catholic Monstrosities

After reading Fr Tim Finigan's post about modern church architecture out of morbid curiosity I did a quick search to see what else I could find.

Jubilee Church (Rome)



Church of Santa Monica Spain


Christ Hope of the World (Austria)

I did plan to comment on my findings but I am afraid I was unable to find the words apart from to say that this is not a joke and that these buildings really do serve as Catholic churches.

If you find this topic interesting, I recommend the following book.
No Place for God: The Denial of Transcendence in Modern Church Architecture. Below is a short extract which quite possibly says it all.

The modern age has witnessed the construction of the most banal and uninspiring churches in history. The attempt to create a church architecture that would meet the needs of the age has resulted in churches that are unfit for any age. Contemporary church buildings, as well as being the ugliest ever built, are also the emptiest.


Many atheists used to say that whatever they felt about religion, it was impossible not to admire church architecture. But now there is hardly a Catholic who can admire (modern) church architecture.

2 comments:

Brantigny said...

The asutian Church resembles the Mecca-kaaba. Is this what they were going for?

With you permission I will add your blog top my blog roll.

Jhesu+Marie!
Brantigny
gunnyb1973@gmail.com

http://lefleurdelystoo.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I just came across this post while Googling church pews. I just had to ask how you feel about Fay Jones's Chapels, like Thorncrown?