Thursday 21 May 2009

Holy Days - Actual Day or Transferred!

Today I am going to be fortunate enough to be able to attend a Solemn High Mass of the Ascension in the Extraordinary Form on its former Feast Day as Ascension Day is now officially celebrated on the Seventh Sunday of Eastertide.

Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite on the proper Feast of the Ascension of Our Lord at the Birmingham Oratory 8pm on 21st May 2009.

When I first learnt that Catholics had transferred mayor Feast Days such as Corpus Christi and Epiphany to the Sunday following the actual day. I thought it was very strange, the only secular comparison I could make was the custom of celebrating a birthday with a party at the weekend even though the persons actual day of birth had occurred during the week. This custom having come about because friends and family usually have more free time at weekends and so more people are able to attend any event that may be arranged.

However this comparison never did quite match up, as even if you chose to celebrate a persons birthday at the weekend rather than on the actual day, the actual day is never allowed to pass without some kind of acknowledgement, some effort, even if it were just small would be made to recognise the persons birthday on the actual day. In addition a person's birthday and major celebrations of Our Lord and Saviour are not of equal importance (athough this could be just my personal opinion).

Consequently I have never been in favour of transferred Feast Days and have always attended Mass on the actual day whether the Mass itself is actually be say for that purpose or not. That way I knew, even if it were just in my heart that I did not allow the day to pass without some acknowledgement of its relevance and importance to me as a Catholic.

It simply seems to me that my life should be arranged around Our Lord and not the other way around. What do you think?

Feast Days to be celebrated on their actual day or transferred to following Sunday . What do you prefer?
Actual Day
Transferred
ugg boots

If you perfer Feast Days to be celebrated on their actual day a petition has been posted regarding the celebration of Holydays asking that Archbishop Vincent Nichols reinstate the celebration of Ascension, Corpus Christi and Epiphany to their correct days.

You can Sign the petition here.

No comments: